Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
partial refinish?

Posted by suzan30 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 4, 10 at 8:16

The finish on my maple dresser's top was ruined when a bottle of nail polish remover was spilled on it. When I wiped up the remover it took the finish off. There is no stain. It looks like just a clear matte finish (polyurethane?). Can I just sand down the whole top and apply polyurethane? Should I strip of the remaining finish first and then sand? Someone suggested restorafinish. Would this work on a fairly large area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: partial refinish?

It's probably lacquer (manufacturers don't use poly). See if you can take the back off the dresser to get the top unscrewed, it'll be easier to refinish the top with it off. Then strip it with a chemical stripper and refinish either with lacquer, or if you often leave a bottle of acetone there, use poly. Acetone won't damage poly. Good luck finding something to match existing finish - you might find you have to stain it (Natural or other light color) after you strip and sand. To check, wipe it with mineral spirits after sanding (good way to get the dust off) and check the color. That's the color it will be after a clear finish. Water-based poly won't yellow, and Minwax has a Wipe-on version that would be easy - just takes several coats, but dries so quickly you won't have to worry about dust nibs. HTH.

o

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I just about straggled my teenage daughter when this happened!

o

Have you tried it yet? How'd it go?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here