Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thicker Window Trim Ideas?

Posted by annec (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 7:43

I want to install either interior shutters or 2" blinds, but my windows don't go that deep, and I don't want the blind top/valence or shutter frames to stick out past the window trim. So can I install thicker window trim so it's flush with the window treatment? Any suggestions? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thicker Window Trim Ideas?

You could extend the jamb but then the window trim would be proud of the wall by whatever distance you extended the jamb. I'm not sure that would look so good, even if you filled that gap.

o

how much do you need to come out? but you can use thicker trim.

o

Thanks Mike and Terry. I have 1 1/4 inches of depth to install shutters or whatever, which should be enough without extending the jamb. The shutters are 1.5 inches deep. My trim now is that tapered stuff that's only about 1/8" thick on the window side, so I'll need to replace it with a thicker one. I think the trim should extend a little beyond the shutter installation.

o

I tried to illustrate what's going to happen if you extend the jamb. Just replacing the trim with "thicker" moulding isn't going to help. Typically the trim sits on the jamb so extended the jamb will create a gap at the wall.

o

Thicker trim will have the affect of giving you more space, but is a rather expensive job.

Try a real lumber yard for a much larger selection of moldings than the big box stores.

o

also need a wider window stool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here