Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creating a long, thin frame with no glass

Posted by michelle_phxaz (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 7:24

I received a nice drawing print that is on a sheet of parchment-type paper that is about 7 feet long and 6" tall. I know a custom frame would be insanely expensive, I am okay with hanging this with perhaps the little pieces of tacky gummy stuff I used back in college to hang posters, but don't know what products are now out there.

I don't want the gummy stuff to bleed through the print (I remember that unless the poster was glossy the oils would show through) so can someone please recommend a hanging material? Or help me with creating a very simple frame? I do have a circular saw and can create a thin frame, but I don't know how to attach the poster, and it won't have glass on it.

Thank you to all for any ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creating a long, thin frame with no glass

In a teacher's supply store I found 'Infostrip'.
It comes in 2" X 6' rolls with 'post-it' type gum on both surfaces.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tac-On

o

There are a number of acid free double sided tapes available in craft and hobby stores.
For a frame, you can buy molding strips (stain/paint to your liking) from a home improvement store and just miter and glue the edges since there will be no glass or structural strength required.
Tape the parchment to the wall and mount the frame around it with double sided tape that will take the weight.

o

It seems to me that the drawing is not going to look good on the wall unless it's laminated to something to make it reasonably flat. Normally, a frame shop would dry-mount it to foamcore board. Since I doubt you can get foamcore in a 7' length, you need to find something else. Masonite comes to mind, as you could go buy a 4 x 8 sheet and have the yard or Home Depot cut it to size for you. I'd then stiffen that by gluing some 1 x 1 strips to back, recessed from the sides, to create a floating effect on the wall. Then you could use some of the double sided tape suggested above, or perhaps spray adhesive (depending on how permanent you want this or how precious the drawing is) to mount it to the backing. If you still want a frame around it, do as suggested above; buy suitable molding at Home Depot or wherever and miter the corners.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here