Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outdoor furniture

Posted by lolymia (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 23, 09 at 3:26

Many opinions seem to exist. What are the pros and cons of:
1. just teak oil only every 6 months
2. going for marine grade teak oil (is this better?)
3. using a natural decking oil in steak of teak oil for a longer lasting result
3. using a combination stain and varnish

Here is a link that might be useful: outdoor furniture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outdoor furniture

Use a #4(#5 with Olympic) deep tint base paint. Do not tint, use straight from the can---it will dry clear. I would test to be sure, however as every brand may not be the same.

I have seen several experienced finishing folks recommend this.

o

Fine Woodworking (? I take out a lot, might have been something else) magazine just did an article on this, best overall was Epifanes marine varnish. Sorry, I just returned the magazine to library. But it was not the most recent issue, probably July?

Here is a link that might be useful: Epifanes Clear Varnish

o

I have learned to take finishing articles from Fine Woodworking with a large grain of salt. Some are good, some are terrible.

Just a few notes on Epifanes. Expect to spend about $40 a quart for it. You will only be able to find it at boat shops and suppliers (Jamestown Distributors is one mail-order source.) Expect to put on lots of coats and commit yourself to annual maintenance.

"Teak Oil" is simply any concoction that a manufacturer wants to blend and call it that. It could be type of oil, varnish, and/or thinner, but you can bet it is not natural oil extracted from a teak log.

You also have option 5: Do nothing and let it naturally age. Teak and ipe' age particularly well.

Here is a link that might be useful: outdoor finishes

o

Article did say 7 coats, $45/quart. I didn't catch annual maintenance, though they did say any penetrating oil finish (Watco was tested) would require more like monthly renewal and looked as bad if not worse than bare wood. Esp. in CT (humid and freezing - worse than the New Mexico sun).

I'm wondering if I can talk my parents into ipe or cedar deck - they hate struggling with solid color stain on pressure-treated every year, plan on replacing it next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here