Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
waterlox on front door

Posted by smoothtalker (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 15, 09 at 0:51

Has anyone used waterlox on their front door and did you like how it held up? My new front door is made from Spanish cedar. It is supposed to hold up better in our area. I actually put on two coats of Waterlox just to protect it for now but their website says you should coat with 2 coats of Marine finish. Whats your recommedations and suggestions.
BTW The door is on a porch with about an 8 ft. overhang and is on the west side of the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: waterlox on front door

I used interior waterlox on several floors, and exterior waterlox on wooden (spanish cedar, BTW) gates. The interior stuff does better in its intended mission than does the exterior stuff. The gates are in the full weather, I admit.
Any clear finish used outdoors will be tested severely, and waterlox is a deep-penetrating and flexible finish, and one that can be re-coated easily as needed.
Casey

o

Thanks Casey,
I put the door up about a year ago with about 3 coats of original thinking that I would use the marine finish soon. Well, I am just now getting around to it. This weekend I plan on marine finishing the doors. Since you have used it, do you think the exterior stuff should be recoated every year or maybe every other year.

I hate all this work but I sure do love the look of wood.

o

I wouldn't put the renewal on a schedule until I saw that it had begun to deteriorate; the gloss will fade and there may be some cracking/discoloration. What could happen next would be that the bottom of the door would begin to darken, as I am figuring that the bottom will get more direct sunlight. That is what you want to prevent-- the differential fading of the finish. That kind of weathering is very difficult to even out. I would hope that it will look great for 2 years, and you probably have another year before damage could set in.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here