Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mldao

Please Help! Faux Wainscoting (picture frame moulding)

mldao
15 years ago

I'm not sure if this will work and I've spent the last 2 days trying to Photoshop this on my PR walls using Adobe CS1. My brother installed it on my system and gave me a 60 second tour. I'm pretty computer literate but this program makes me feel like the village idiot.

I am trying to put picture frame faux wainscoting in my downstairs PR on the lower half of the walls. The design is a very simple box created by attaching four wooden boards above the baseboard and then placing a chair rail above the picture frame box. The confusing part is that this room has 5 walls of different sizes, plus a recessed area behind the sink. (Please see attached drawing). All the corners are bull nose.

I donÂt know if I should try and put the vertical boards of a box at each corner in the room (there are 9 corners) and create multiple different size boxes, or stay with a uniform spacing of the vertical boards for every box and cut/bend/attach the horizontal boards as needed to get around all of the corners. Will either or both look terrible? Is this room just a bad candidate for faux wainscoting?

I posted a while back about this same PR after it was professionally staged and I was unhappy with the outcome.

I've posted this in the home decorating forum and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (2)

• Jon1270
    15 years ago

I would definitely expect there to be vertical frame members at every corner, with the size of each box varying to accommodate different wall lengths. In fact, I would expect there to be a vertical frame member on each side of each corner. The alternative of chopping up the horizontals to maintain a frame size that is unrelated to the dimensions of the room would strike me as silly. This is not wallpaper.

• mldao
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jon1270: Thanks for the advice. BTW I've never hung wallpaper but I think I get what you mean.