Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
? about fixing a table top

Posted by gardnpondr (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 23:56

We built a kitchen table about 20 or so years ago that had 4- two inch thick boards for the top of it. We cut the edges of each board so they would fit flush against each other and put the wooden biscuits to join them all together so it would look like only one big board. We have had it in our shed for a couple years and before that in a storage building for like 2 years. In storing it for all those years it seems to have warped just a little or either just separated, one or the other. Now you can see a couple of the boards where they separated just a little. We used it for a few years in the house but it was just TOO BIG for our tiny dining room. We just got finished making me a sewing room and I want to fix it for my sewing room and have NO IDEA how to go about it. So I wanted to ask someone how to fix it? I have sanded it all down to put a couple coats of varnish on it and other than those two little areas on the top it's fine. Just in need of a couple coats of varnish. It's really ok like it is but one day my daughter might want to use it if she ever gets married, for her kitchen table and I just thought I would fix it back so it would look nice. I was wondering IF I could put some wood glue in the cracks and use pipe clamps to pull it back together? Or what would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ? about fixing a table top

Your description of the problem is a little confusing, but it sounds as if you're asking about how to fix failed joints in a solid tabletop. When you originally "put the wooden biscuits to join them all together so it would look like only one big board," I'll assume that you glued everything together.

The reason problems happened is probably a combination of at least a couple of these factors:

1) Poorly glued joints
2) Widely varying humidity in various storage locations
3) A method of attaching the top to its support frame (legs, apron) that doesn't allow for movement.

It's unlikely that you can simply squirt glue into the cracks, clamp it back together and have it hold for any length of time. Such a repair is likely to fail again, sooner rather than later.

To repair such cracks permanently, you should cut the joint apart, refit it and re-glue the entire joint.

To be confident that the problem won't recur, you'd want to make sure that the top can shrink and expand a little in relation to the legs/apron framework it's attached to, and you'll also want to be more careful about storage conditions.

o
RE: ? about fixing a table top

Thank you Jon. I don't think the floor was level but it's not life or death so it will be ok.
Thank you again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here