Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me refinish my great-grandmother's dresser

Posted by djsaw (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 23:44

This dresser used to be mine growing up. I never knew anything of it's history till I told my father I was going to sell it because the finish had worn off and it was in horrible shape. My father said don't sell it, if you don't want it I will take it because it used to be in great-grandmothers boarding house, then it was mine and was painted , then your grandfather took off the paint and stained it for you.

Obviously I can't sell it and the orangey-mid century modern look doesn't work for me. So I have decided to refinish it in Minwax dark walnut stain I already have. I tried to stain my bed when I built it but that turned into a giant fiasco and I ended up painting my bed. My questions are do I need to use a wood conditioner? How do I apply the stain? I wiped the stain on my bed with a sock and it came out way too light and splotchy. How long do I let it cure? Pretty much staining for idiots 101.

Here it is.
Photobucket

With a drawer.
Photobucket

Any idea what kind of wood it is?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me refinish my great-grandmother's dresser

The wood looks to be birch. I would apply a preconditioner, and then use a gel stain which gives better coverage than the oil base.

With gel stain you kinda buff it on, rather than oil base that let soak in.

o

Thank you for responding sloyd. If you don't mind me asking why would I need to apply a preconditioner if it already had stain on it?

o

The preconditioner is a preventive measure to prevent blochiness. You may not need it since the wood may be sealed by the previous stain. try staining the underside of the piece to test.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here