Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My antique butcherblock table needs bung covers

Posted by cyclechic (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 22:20

Hey all, I've been looking through the archives in woodworking and metalworking forums and of course "googled" it, but still need help. I have a very old butcherblock table (75-100 years old) that I want to use in my new kitchen, but it is missing a few of the bung covers. I need help locating a resource for these metal covers and appreciate any help you may be able to offer. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My antique butcherblock table needs bung covers

I have no idea what a 'bung cover' is. Can you clarify? Post a pic?

o

cyclechic,
I've always seen bungs covered up with wooden dowels/plugs. Are yours made from decorative metal? I agree that pics would help here. If you can remove one then a local metal worker could cast some replicas for you.

o

Sorry, this is my first post and it took me a bit to figure out the photo upload procedure. The covers are some sort of silver colored base metal and slightly decorative. I tried to fabricate them using copper but they are pretty primative looking. The bung covers are to cover the bungs or bolts that hold the wood together.

From Online Edits

o

I would look for bed bolt covers

Here is a link that might be useful: bed bolt covers

o

Even if you find some it will be hard to match the patina of the existing covers. You might consider consolidating all the holes onto 1 side (hidden) or have new ones cast/made with your initials, a word, or family name?

o

Ohhhh, the bed bolt covers are really nice, they just might work. I had thought about having some made but, didn't know where to go or what to ask for. As far as the patina, I use liver of sulfur as a silver, copper, and brass patina in jewelry making and thought it would work if I had some covers made. You all have been very helpful. Thanks so much.

o

Horton brasses in the earlier link can probably make them for you. I had them make some wrought iron trunk braces for me a few years back, and they liked them so much they put them in their catalog.

o

Bung hole covers are also found with rain barrels.
So if you look at wine making, you might find some more. I don't know if they're decorative, but it's worth checking out.

VanDyke's might have something, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here