Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing an old oak teacher's desk

Posted by dave346 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 6, 09 at 22:10

I picked up an older oak desk today, very typical style I've seen many times before but finally got one of my own. It's worn, and so I'm planning to refinish it, but I'm not sure what to do about the top. Heck, I don't even know what the top is made out of. Anybody have any ideas, and what the best way to go about refinishing it would be?

Here are a couple pictures, first of the desk as a whole, then a closer shot of the top, including some of the worst damage on it so you can get an idea of what I'm up against. It sure doesn't look like any kind of wood insert to me.

There is also some damage to a couple pieces that I'm going to repair, in fact a couple small trim pieces I expect to replace outright -- any trick to finding the best matching oak?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing an old oak teacher's desk

The top looks like leather to me, although that would be a big piece of leather. Maybe some synthetic leather alternative? Is it relatively soft? Whatever it is, I think you'll want to replace that stuff rather than "refinish" it.

The wood looks like basic red oak, very common in institutional furniture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here