Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What could be used to make this?

Posted by pumpkinhouse (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 20:49

I love this wall sconce but not the price ($485). Any ideas what would be the best material for the wood veneer if I were to try to make this myself? I was thinking raw veneer without any backing, to allow the wood grain to show through when it's on. I'm afraid of warping though. I think the original is made of a plastic made to look like veneer.
If I would use real wood veneer, are there any coatings that would help with stability over time?
Also, any ideas how to get that nice white color? It looks like maybe maple or ash?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What could be used to make this?

Ash would be one of the better choices since it is stable and steam bends well,maple I don't think so. The "real experts" to ask are those who make flowers of wood.

o

Duplicate post deleted

This post was edited by klem1 on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 14:27

o

Ash is a perfect material for the attempt. Paint it with a pearlized automotive paint and you may come very close. Use a cool white LED light source.
Casey

o

Look at birch veneer sheets.

Or fiberglass

Or non-bonded interfacing - stiffen it with a clear plastic

o

They didn't make it out of wood for a reason and that's flammability. Solid surface maybe.

o

Well, shades are made of fabric, and that's flammable.

if I did use veneer, I might want to use an iron-on interfacing to bond it to something like buckram, just for stiffness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here