Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bed Rail fasteners?

Posted by nap101 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 20:45

I've decided, against other people's better judgement, to build my own bed frame. My limited experience may play against me but my anal attention to detail and research might balance that out just enough. Hopefully enough.

I want to build it so that the bed rails can be removed from the head and footboard if I need to move. (it's a queen sized platform bed so there will be a center board support that goes to the floor). The wood will be cherry except for the side rail supports to hold the slats, the center support, and the slats themselves.

So my limited experience and tools has me shying away from the mortise fittings. I've been looking at a few on the rockler site and other places that attach to the inside corners. Some of the reviews for a few of them say the metal is flimsy and the attachments will loosen over time.

My bedrails will be 5/4 cherry 6 inches high. The posts they are attaching into are 2 1/4 square cherry. What would you recommend for the bed rail connectors?

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bed Rail fasteners?

It's really hard to beat mortise and tenon joints and traditional bedbolts for putting a bed together. They aren't all that hard to cut and the mortise is hidden (you can insert a shim and don't have to tell anyone :-) . Even if it's a bit loose with the drawbolt pulling the parts together the bed will be solid. This construction allows you to separate the bed into four posts and the connecting boards, making moving a snap. With metal hangers you can't really do all eight corner connections without it being terribly floppy. I did one with hangers from Woodcraft and the joints flex something awful, plus it's awkward to move the high post head and footboards.

The tenons can be easily cut with a handsaw if you don't have a tablesaw (a 3/4 to 1" deep tenon is plenty) and the mortises can be roughed out with a drill and finished with just a chisel, or cut entirely with a chisel. It's one of the easiest and best joints you can learn.

o
RE: Bed Rail fasteners?

Look at the list of hardware suppliers I linked.

There are several different kinds.

And find a plan(Google bed frame plans) and have a good time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed rail hardware search

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here