Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a simple design for storage

Posted by rjinga (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 20:19

I have a small metal shed outback nearby my new greenhouse. It is seated upon a raised wooden platform that is probably 10 inches off the ground. There is about 10 or so inches that protrudes out from the building on all sides. I'd like to build some kind of enclosed storage that would wrap around the 3 sides (door is of course on the 4th side)with doors and shelves inside to hold all my pots and gardening tools etc.

I am hoping to get some ideas for very basic construction, as I'm not skilled in this area, but brave enough to try.

I have access to some cheap plywood. I also have (about 20 landscape timbers that I would love to be able to salvage. I need for this to be someone decent looking and not hobo-ish :) (for the DH sake, he's picky) And BTW...DH wont be helping me, he is not into this kind of work :) but I do have a handy and helpful retired neighbor who loves to participate in ALL my many projects.

thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a simple design for storage

This is not a beginner's project, and wouldn't even be a sound idea if you were an experienced carpenter. This isn't just "storage," it's outdoor cabinetry. It's inherently not "very basic." It wouldn't last long if it weren't under a roof, and adding a roof is an extra complication. Landscape timbers will be too large to use, and too dirty to cut up without ruining saw blades, not to mention moist and warpage-prone.

I'd look for alternative plans, such as shelving inside the greenhouse, or knocking down the existing metal shed and building a larger wooden one with open shelves facing inward.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here