Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seal or Prime Bare Exterior Wood?

Posted by snikcilla (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 19:54

I have a small exterior porch of regular bare wood (not pressure treated). The tops and sides of the boards have been primed and painted with latex paint.

The bottom of the boards are still bare and I want to "treat" them. Should I seal them? Or prime them? Or something else?

(Last time they were primed and painted, the rain leaked(?) through and caused the latex paint to develop hanging bubbles of water (hanging down from porch planks.) So I am hesitant to put latex primer and paint on the underside of new bare wood again.

What would you suggest?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seal or Prime Bare Exterior Wood?

"(Last time they were primed and painted, the rain leaked(?) through and caused the latex paint to develop hanging bubbles of water (hanging down from porch planks.) So I am hesitant to put latex primer and paint on the underside of new bare wood again."

What are "hanging bubbles of water?"

Do you mean the water leaked through and dripped off the bottom?
That would be expected.

o

Well the rain got underneath / inside of the multiple coats of latex paint (rolled to the underside of the board) and caused the paint to stretch out and form a pocket full of water!

The latex paint streched out like a balloon and collected the water, so I had paint pockets filled with water hanging off the underside of my porch. (Which is the second floor entrance porch, so you could walk underneath and see what was happening.)

Any thoughts on eliminating this with a different kind of coating / sealer would be appreciated. Thanks.

o

How wet was the wood before painting?
If it was pressure treated it needs to dry out before painting since it gets saturated with water during treatment. That is why pressure treated wood is so heavy when purchased.

If the paint job was thorough, the next place to look is end grain.
It will soak up water and wick it into the wood a pretty decent distance.

For exterior wood that will be painted you can saturate the end grain with Minwax wood hardener till a gloss barely develops, then prime and paint.
It works very well on thinner sections that can rot and warp more.

I replaced 5 year old 1x6 corner boards on a house that had rotted at the butt joints between boards (3 stories on the back of the house).
After 15 years the replaced wood is still doing fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here