Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancingqueengw

Staining New Sliding Door??

dancingqueengw
15 years ago

I have a new Anderson sliding door. The trim is oak and the door itself is pine. I've never stained a door before, only an old oak table and that was years ago. So I would appreciate feedback on my plan. 1st sand door lightly w 400 grit sandpaper, wipe with tack cloth. Should I tape off the oak while I apply stain prep to the pine? After pretreat on pine sand again? Apply stain - I've had the stain special matched to my other woodwork. I have oil based pre treat and oil based stain. Sand again??? I have grids that snap out of the door so I though I would do those after I remove them. I also thought I would tape the glass off so I don't have to clean it. My understanding from reading the threads is to let the pretreat sit 24 hours, sand, stain, sand again and finish. I bought Waterlux to finish with and will wipe it. Once I'm done with the pine I thought I'd let it dry for a few days then tape off the pine and stain the oak?? Also there are a LOT of nail holes in the oak trim they put up. I can't find the powder to mix with the stain to fill them. What should I use?? Thanks for your help. I don't want to ruin this expensive door.

Comments (2)