Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Penetrating Epoxy for walnut countertop with undermount sink

Posted by library_girl (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 19:27

Hello,
We are having a 10' x 4' walnut plank style counter top made for our kitchen. Because we have read so many wonderful reviews about Osmo Polyx-Oil, we were going to use that to seal our countertop. (food safe, easy to re-apply, looks great)

We plan to install an undermount sink in the counter top. In the kitchen forum, one person wrote that her carpenter used a "penetrating epoxy" around her sink area and Osmo Polyx Oil everywhere on her counter top, but didn't know the specifics. I wrote to Osmo to make sure it wouldn't be a problem and the person who responded said it would actually be a good idea to apply a penetrating epoxy where the sink cutout is and where the sink is attached, as long as the application of it is carefully controlled to not get up on the surface area.

Can anyone recommend a penetrating epoxy that would be suitable for the cut area around our prep sink?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Penetrating Epoxy for walnut countertop with undermount sink

I've used this penetrating epoxy outdoors, successfully, although on relatively soft wood:

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/penetrating4u.html

I don't know how far it would penetrate into walnut. As long as the area is out of sight, you might think about topcoating a penetrating primer with a tough paint of some kind. The web site above sells some marine/industrial paints. The proprietor would probably be happy to recommend something.

o

Be sure to finish both sides or your counter will cup. I've used a bar top epoxy (linked) that has held up for about 7 years now but I don't think that's what you're looking for (too thick).

Here is a link that might be useful: AeroMarine bartop epoxy

o

I see value in sealing the end grain of the sink cutout particularly well. If you thin the epoxy with its appropriate (often proprietary) solvent, then use a low heat gun, it can get into the end grain quite deeply. But don't burn the epoxy.
Casey

o

Use 100% vinly tape for masking off the surface you want epoxy-free.

Epoxy is self levelling. It will run over the sides and drip off the bottom, leaving little drips. Plan on masking these and removing the tape when the epoxy is set up, but not cured...usually about 12 to 18 hours later.

You can work the epoxy into the side and end grain by brushing it when it is flowable. Multiple coats are necessary. The cool thing about epoxy is it can be sanded away and the next coat bonds seamlessly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here