Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old pond dock... needs lots of TLC? help

Posted by rmkleman (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 19:16

Well i just bought my first house and it has a small deck/dock whatever you want to call it right on my small pond. The wood looks like its in pretty bad condition... i saw a product on the internet called liquid wood. I believe its a two part apoxy resin? Just wandering what i can do to help it out... the wood looks like its pretty beat up and hasnt been sealed for a while. Let me know please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old pond dock... needs lots of TLC? help

Before putting time and $ into the surface, what condition are the pilings in?

o

Are you looking for a fix that will get you a couple of years till you can get to this project? Or something that will last longer? Are there chunks gone? nails missing? Boards coming loose? Rot? Or is it sound but rough and splintery?
A picture would help, or a better description. Sorry don't know anything about liquid wood.

o

Well i guess a picture would help, i will try to take some today. The nails are still holding it together but the heads are all rusty. Its held together pretty well actually. I just want something that can get me through a few years untill i can replace it maybe 2-5 years? I just purchased the house and i want to work on a lot of other things first, i thought if it can be sealed or anything it would be a good job for my fiance through the week. Thompsons water sealer? Liguid wood? What do i have to do to it to assure a few more years of life out of it? Thanks for the replys so far!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here