Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing Wood Table--scratches after first coat of stain

Posted by iowafarmstud (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 19:13

Help!

First time DIY-er and I am refinishing a table for my wife. I used a rotary sander and smoothed everything out...felt nice and smooth, but after I applied the first coat of stain I noticed circular scratch marks all over the table!
My question--do I need to sand the entire top again? Or--can I just sand the areas where I see scratches (about 1/3 to 1/2 the table I apparently went against the grain!).
Also, would you use a finer grit like 220 to redo it? OR...do I need to do a 80/100 first and then do the 220?
Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing Wood Table--scratches after first coat of stain

Yeah, you screwed up with a rotary. You always want to use a palm sander, and with the grain. Or a block sander with the grain. The grit you need to sand with again will depend on how deep the scratches are. If you started with 80, they're probably pretty deep, and you will probably need to start with at least 80 again. And hope there are no veneers involved.

o
RE: Refinishing Wood Table--scratches after first coat of stain

It only takes one stray grit particle from a coarse paper to ruin the sanding when using a ROS. For pine it's usually not an issue, but on cherry (in particular) it can be a disaster.
To fix it, I'd start with a cabinet scraper which will get the swirls out faster than sanding. Then block sand, by hand, with the grain, with 220.
A cabinet scraper does require a learning curve for both sharpening and usage, but it's a miraculous little device.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here