Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
door casing refinishing

Posted by psue_2007 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 18:40

We need to refinish a door frame/casing. I don't really know what to call it, but it is the opening from one room into another - just the door opening with no door. Anyway, it has lots of nicks and scratches. How do we refinish it? Sand lightly? By hand or sander? We don't need to restain except in a few small areas - mostly just touch-up, I think. Or should we use steel wool? Then what kind of finish? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: door casing refinishing

If you sand out the scratches, you will sand through the finish and part/all of the stain. Matching the stain in spots is very difficult. Much better to sand the whole thing, restain the whole thing and refinish with varnish.

A ROS, random orbit sander, will be the easiest/fastest way to sand. Start with 100 grit to remove the finish/scratches and finish with 150 grit. Stain, lightly hand sand with 220 grit---just to knock off the fuzzies caused by staining---and apply two coate of varnish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here