Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Mahogony stain and finish result - question

marys1000
15 years ago

Well I don't think it looks bad. It's less shiny, less formal (or is that my imagination). In bedroom light it looks a little more brown. Its at least a LITTLE different and looks a little less beat up. I wish I could have found a refinisher that did custom aniline dyes and all like I read about here but I got tired of driving around town only to find that the guy in the yellow pages seemed like a bit of hack.

For you trade guys they charged 150.00 for this and said they stripped, sanded, put on (it almost looks brushed in a couple of spots where its thin) some big jug "dark walnut", sealed, then shellac'd? varnished? I can't remember what they said.

Question: Somehow just in getting it home it accrued a small gouge/scratch on the top and I was being careful - does this need to cure or something? For how long?

Now my challenge will be trying to find 2" center hardware - I'd like something rustic in iron or pewter but so far no luck - only stuff very similar to what it has on it. I dread the idea of drilling holes for 3". I hate putting holes in wood. Its like a phobia or something.

Here is a link that might be useful: nightstand refinished next to dresser

Comments (6)