Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mahogony stain and finish result - question

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 18:24

Well I don't think it looks bad. It's less shiny, less formal (or is that my imagination). In bedroom light it looks a little more brown. Its at least a LITTLE different and looks a little less beat up. I wish I could have found a refinisher that did custom aniline dyes and all like I read about here but I got tired of driving around town only to find that the guy in the yellow pages seemed like a bit of hack.
For you trade guys they charged 150.00 for this and said they stripped, sanded, put on (it almost looks brushed in a couple of spots where its thin) some big jug "dark walnut", sealed, then shellac'd? varnished? I can't remember what they said.
Question: Somehow just in getting it home it accrued a small gouge/scratch on the top and I was being careful - does this need to cure or something? For how long?

Now my challenge will be trying to find 2" center hardware - I'd like something rustic in iron or pewter but so far no luck - only stuff very similar to what it has on it. I dread the idea of drilling holes for 3". I hate putting holes in wood. Its like a phobia or something.

Here is a link that might be useful: nightstand refinished next to dresser

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mahogony stain and finish result - question

They charged $150 for the night stand...only??
sigh....it looks lovely...but there was no paint to strip...and not a lot of stainmatching....and if the top wasn't cured enough to resist a little scratch...
I amazed!
Linda C

o

If the finish is shellac some denatured alcohol will melt the finish and allow the scratch to fill in.
It may still show depending on the gloss of the surface.

Varnish is a 'one way' reaction, and the only cure is often another layer.

o

So I guess Linda thinks I paid too much? This is about what the first guy ask for too although he might have done a different job.

o

$150 is not much for refinishing that.

I would estimate 4 manhours X $50 per manhour, plus materials and required EPA disposal fees.

Michael

o

Thanks Michael.

o

Mary,
$150 is not alot for that, but that being said it doesn't look like professional job. You mentioned to me in the e-mail that your choices were extremely limited as far as shops in your area.
That would run $395 in my shop to refinish.
He brushed on Shellac , that's really not a modern day professional finish.
He even noted that you can see the brush marks. It should be a Satin lacquer that is sprayed on.
It also looks like there is very little finish, meaning no build of finish.
It also looks like the horizontal piece of wood just under the drawer does not match everything else. Again, this is not the proper way to finish. All the non Mahogany pieces should be finished to match the Mahogany pieces, so to the untrained eye ,the whole piece appears to be Mahogany.

For $150 dollars , you did ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here