Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
who has made the convertible picnic table & chair?

Posted by jolj (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 18:05

I found it in THE BIG BOOK OF BACKYARD PROJECTS.
Designer Alan Michael Hester made a bench, the vertical back flips up to be a horizontal table top.
I have a clearing with a fire pit (logs) & would like to put in benches that we could eat on. My son had a Graduation bonfire with about 25 friends & we rented tables & chairs.
I want to have something that will last 25 years or so.
Tell me what you think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: who has made the convertible picnic table & chair?

Not one person used this plan or know what I am talking about?

o

Hi
I don't know the exact plan that you are talking about but I have seen the benches that fliip in to a table and yo ucan put two together to get what looks like a tradiontal table.

There are a couple of things to think about if you want longevity in outdoor woodworking projects.

First is wood selection, I am not sure of your location but the wood type is critical! for long life I would pick either Wewster Red cedar, Redwood or white oak. To get 25 years from it you will still need to coat it with something and I would suggest a marine grade varnish with UV inhibitors. The bottom of the legs is wear the rot starts first becasue of ground contact so I would suggest putting down some crushed gravel and putting the feet on that so it is not siting directly on the ground.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will help if I can.

I have a small side business where I build outdoor furniture, picin tables, benches adirondack chairs etc so I have some experience in this.

good Luck and I hope this helped

Dave Dionne

Dave's Woodcraft

o

Thanks Dave!
I live in Columbia, South Carolina.
I now think I will use the steel spikes that hold 4"X"4 post (Lowes for decks).
If this is stable, then repeat it.
Red or White Oak sounds good to me.
I may wait til Spring to complete this project.
But I will send you a photo or two, when it is complete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here