Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Rather than wait until I screw it up, as usual...

CEFreeman
11 years ago

...I thought I'd go back and read every, 175 threads on stripping furniture.

Being currently and suddenly unemployed, I have been job hunting. In the meanwhile, I can't have the 15 antique doors I got for $10 - $35 each stripped (I know, not necessarily a good idea, but 15?) since I'm in a financial crunch.

That said, I was eying the Ez Strip again. I thought to myself, "Self? It's 95 degrees out there."

So I got out a victim door, the saw horses, the brush, the plastic scraper and the thick, black plastic.

I spread that stuff on what I thought was thick, and covered it with plastic. Then I came and read here for an hour.

When I checked it, I was shocked at how easily the places such as the detail, simply peeled away with the scraper. Places where the stripper wasn't so thick didn't.

So...

I scraped what I could, vacuumed off the scrape-y stuff and recoated it. Thicker. Back went the plastic.

This time, 3 hours later?

OMG. Again, where it was thick enough, the stuff peeled off like TV. I will have a 3rd round to go, but only THREE!?!

The best part is all the corners and edges just bubbled off.

Thank you all, for your patience in repeating yourselves 175 times. I think I got it!

now about that wiping it down with mineral spirits or acetone... I don't get which I should use, when I'm ready.

But that's another research session.

Christine

Comment (1)