Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help refinishing walnut dining table

Posted by urbancholita (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 17:37

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and desperately in need of some advice. I have a large dining room table from my boyfriend's grandma. I have been told it is walnut veneer over solid wood (also walnut). My boyfriend's mother told me to strip the top using Formby's Furniture Refinisher and follow that with Formby's Tung Oil Finish. I have gone over the top twice with the refinisher and steel wool (used about 1.5 small cans), but the top now looks slightly blotchy (lighter in spots and darker in others) and feels a little gummy. I'm nervous to do any sanding because it's veneer, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

1. keep using more formbys?
2. apply the tung oil and hope for the best?
3. lightly sand and hope i don't bust through the veneer?
4. some other option I haven't thought of . . .

Advice? I can send pictures if that would help.

Thanks,
Cassie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help refinishing walnut dining table

Without seeing it, I'm guessing that you have not completely removed the finish and that it is not wood that has been stained (by some chemical, not a prior attempt of applying a "wood stain.")

Formby's refinisher is an ATM stripper, essentially a variant of lacquer thinner. It works by dissolving the finish so you can wipe off most of it and smear around the rest. The solvents work well on lacquer and shellac (which are redissolved in their respective solvents, both of which are in lacquer thinner) and slowly on other finishes such as varnish.

While you can continue with it, things will go faster with a methylene chloride stripper (see the link above.)

And while we are at it, Formby's Tung Oil finish is merely a varnish thinned to wiping consistency. Not that it is necessarily a bad product, it is just not tung oil and contains no tung oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here