Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MDF cubby

Posted by cookingrvc (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 16:29

Ok, so this might seem like a very lame question, but my husband wants to hang our outdoor speakers on our newly finished extension and I am opposed to making holes in the trim or the siding (Hardie Board). The brackets for the speakers force us to mount them vertically.

So, we thought he could make a box-ish structure to hold the speaker (front will be open). Our contractor reinforced the vinyl (or whatever it is) soffit so he could screw into it.

The wires are already there just waiting to be hooked up to the speakers.

My husband just tried to make the box-y thing and has already given up. He did a great job on crown molding in our living room so I am not sure why he's having a problem with this.

I included a picture of the addition below and wonder if you have any suggestions other than building a box to hold the speakers...or if that is our only alternative...how to easily make a box that is not too challenging to a novice.

Looking at the structure, the speakers will be on the left side under the soffit...same on the right.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MDF cubby

How are you planning on attaching this "box"? Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't you have to screw it to the wall?

MDF is a poor choice for outdoor projects. I'd suggest using something like Azek or MDO (which is a outdoor plywood product with a special coating that's designed to be painted).

o
RE: MDF cubby

The 'plan' was to install it to the underside of the soffit, not the wall. However since I posted this I learned that the speaker can be mounted horizontally...so we are going to mount it directly to the soffit which is reinforced with wood that the contractor placed to support the speaker.

About the MDF...good to know in case we ever attempt to do anything ourselves.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here