Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
handrails and blood wood floors

Posted by arebella (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 16:09

I'm building a new house which will have bloodwood floors and white painted trim. I need to start thinking about what to do with my foyer staircase. What I'd like to do is paint the risers, balausters and trim white, use bloodwood for the treads, and then match the top handrail to the bloodwood treads and floor. Is is possible to get a top rail made of bloodwood, or if not, can oak or some other wood be stained to match the bloodwood?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: handrails and blood wood floors

I doubt seriously is any wood can be stained close to bloodwood. You will have to find someone or some company to make the rail from bloodwood.

I love bloodwood, it smalls like a fine perfume when cut.

o
RE: handrails and blood wood floors

Thanks for the info. There are plenty of Amish furniture makers and finish carpenters in the area where we're building who can probably make the rail for me, so that's good to know. I'll put that on my list for the GC to look into.

I love bloodwood too. I looked at many different types of HW for my floors, but it's the one I kept coming back to over and over. It's such a dramatic color and beautiful wood, although on such a large scale, it's definitely not for those timid with color. That's very interesting about the smell. I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for your help. I'll post some pics when it's all installed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here