Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frame and panel door rattles

Posted by jem199 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 15:37

I got new cabinets and they did not use space balls so the door rattle. My GC told me to take a syringe of superglue and put a dot in each corner, but that seems like a bad idea since it would stop the panels from moving with changes in humidity.

What if I put a tiny spec of silicone in each corner? That would hold them and also allow for some movement. I believe were talking 25 thousands of an inch, so silicone could handle that, right?

Is there another solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frame and panel door rattles

I'd sure try the silicon before the glue.

If the doors are plywood and MDF, glue is fine. Those two materials do not have a lot of movement.

If the stiles and rails of the doors are solid wood and the panels plywood, same thing applies.

But, the silicon is not nearly as permanent, so trying that is preferrable to me.

o

Try to make sure the panels are in the middle of any side to side play.

At that point you can fasten them in the middle top and bottom using just about anything you want to try, even brads (small nails) on the back of the doors.

A drop of glue top and bottom would also work.

o

I would drive very tiny shims (like toothpicks tapered to nothing with a razor knife) at three points on the back side, across the top and bottom of the panels. You could put a bit of glue on one side of these tiny shims. (makes more sense to glue to the panel than the frame). If they still rattle, add another to the middle of the panel edge along the vertical length.
Casey

o

Thanks for the ideas. I'll post an update when I figure out what works best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here