Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyandmocha

project done! new office/closet!

cindyandmocha
18 years ago

I finally finished my first woodworking staining project on my own. I had recently built a sewing nook (some shelves on cleats) in my utility room. I was happy enough with it, that I decided to tackle the next project by myself. I just turned a ratty junk filled closet into an office. I poured over this forum and the advice given on stains and plywood.

I had the boards cut at HD and just "went for it". All the junk cleaned out, new tile, some paint, and some screws and I was set. Removed the old ratty bi-fold doors, and framed in the doorway, leaving it open to the den.

I used a water based minwax "vermont maple" stain -- 2 coats on birch plywood. Then 3 coats of water based poly on each side of the shelving, sanding with 330 grit paper between coats.

I am really pleased with how it turned out. I will have to get one of those cord hiding zippered things to bunch all my computer cords together. The part I hated most was actually drilling a hole in that pretty top just for all the wires.

If I had it to do over, I'd be a tad more careful with the glue, but overall, I'm satisfied for a first timer.

Comments (5)