Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting Marine Plywood

Posted by lulie___wayne (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 15:15

I would like to paint a name sign for a new beach house which we have just purchased. The sign will of course, be hung outside of the house. I was told that marine plywood would be the best wood to use, but would be difficult for paint to take on it. Can anyone give me advice on what, if anything, I should put on the surface to help it take the paint more easily and also last longer?
Thank you in advance.
Lulie Cosby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting Marine Plywood

Actually, MDO might be less expensive and better.

Marine grade plywood is designated as such simply because it is manufactured with no interior voids. Some brands may have binders with better weather resistance than others.

If you wish to have a design/name etched/routered into the wood, then a solid wood such as cypress or Ipe would be a better long term choice. Those woods---plus cedar, white oak, ash, and even several species of mahoghany(all of which don't look as smooth when painted)---all have some degree of natural weather resistance.

o
RE: Painting Marine Plywood

We get MDO ply with paper smooth surfaces for making signs. You can get it with paper on one or both sides. It costs about $70 per 4x8 sheet.

We paint all edges and both sides with exterior primer and paint before putting on the sign letters or logo. The sign will fade or peel before the wood deteriorates.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here