Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???

Posted by mcook (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 16, 06 at 15:07

We plan to stain our cherry cabinet to burgundy/red mahagony color, & given the fact that cherry will darken in its color over time....

1. How dark will it get? Or does it bring out more redness instead of the 'darkness' (I guess I'm thinking of black or something)?
2. How long does it take for cherry to reach it's "max" color?
3. In my case, should I stain a little lighter than the color we desire?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How extensive does Cherry wood (Cabinet) darken ???

Cherry will become pretty dark brown/red. Don't know the time limit.

o

Given enough time cherry will turn a copper red color. This will accelerate if the wood is exposed to direct sunlight. Depending on the stain that you use you might not be able to notice the darkening. I would recommend that you don't attempt to allow for darkening. Pick a color that you like today, and you probably will not notice a change in the future. I have included a link that shows unfinished cherry with a stain. I cannot discern any darkening on the piece after more than a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry Finished/Unfinished

o

I use a lot of "Cherry " wood in building furniture, I always use "Analine Dye" to color it with because I can shade it any shade I want,then seal it with Lacquer Sanding sealer,sandit down and put what ever finish I desire, Usually two cotes of clear lacquer
Houston

o

"Given enough time cherry will turn a copper red color. "

It rarely gets anything nearly as dark as the STAIN in the link posted. No natural aged cherry was shown.
A sort of medium brown with definite reddish tones.
Most of the deep wine red cherry is from aniline dye.
The shade was popular a long time ago on many woods tha required pore fililng and was carried over to cherry.
The burgnudy/red color was often from the paste filler used on the pores to produce a smooth finish. Not really requried on cherry, but needed on other woods. It set a 'standard' for what color high end furniture should be and has been carried forward ever since.

o

We just built our vanities with cherry and finished natural. First we used a sealer then two coats of catalized lacquer. When they were first installed I thought they looked awful but they change so fast you can almost see the difference from day to day and now at about 6 to 8 weeks they are now a nice red natural finish. I would not use any stain at all.

o

Mark, which Old Master's color is that?

Anyone use the Deep Red gel stains from Old Master, specifically the Crimson Fire?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here