Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rough Cedar Mantel - How to make smooth

Posted by monkeymo (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 15:01

We have what we believe is a rough cedar mantel on our fireplace that is covered with mirrors. We are removing the mirrors and would like to know if there is any way to make the rough cedar smooth with it in place on the fireplace or will be need to remove it?

Are there people we can hire to do this type of work and if so what would I look it up under in the in the yellow pages?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rough Cedar Mantel - How to make smooth

Your description is a little vague, but if you've got roughsawn cedar then it will probably be easiest to remove the cedar and replace it with new, smooth boards, or run the old ones through a surface planer and replace them.

o

What tools do you have?

o

We are having a glass company remove the mirrors. We have no tools. We do however have a friend who does woodworking so not sure if he has the right tools...I know he has built furniture pieces before.

Here is a photo of the fireplace. It is a two tiered mantel and had corbels underneath which they sawed off halfway so it wouldn't stick out under the mirror.

I would like to salvage the wood mantel but smooth it out. Guess we will have to figure out how to remove from stone. We are pretty sure it is rough cedar as we have a basement with tons of rough cedar beams, ceiling panels, trim, and another fireplace mantel.

What tools would be needed?

o

How smooth and how "finished" do you want to make it? Cedar is pretty soft so sanding in place by hand is not totaly out of the question. But it will be a very long tedious job, and extremely messy. It will be smooth but not even, It won't look like planed boards you buy at the lumberyard.

Removing it may be dificult. Is this a solid heavy beam? or a box built around 2 or 3 2x? sticking out of the masonary? You may not be able to tell what you are getting into until it's to late to stop!
Have you considered covering the existing mantle with new boards? Cedar or some other wood?

You might also consider: Old cedar boards will light faster and burn hotter than any other wood I have ever put in a fire (except maybe that 2x4 that I soaked in gasoline). Not my first choice for a fireplace mantle.

o

Thanks qwertyui.... I don't think we will know what we have until we get the mirrors removed. It looks like this is actually set back into the masonry (at least the top part of what I could see as a small piece of the mirror came off). I think we may just need to get some custom boards to put over it. Probably oak or cherry or something.

The other thing we want to do which has nothing to do with wood is to remove the glass front, but it looks like the mortared it onto the stone in the front and not sure we can get that off.

Thanks for the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here