Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how can I keep closed a closet door?

Posted by nancyk (zukituck@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 14:54

We are in the process of making a small closet door. It will be 30 inches wide, by 6+ ft, tall. and 1 1/2 inches thick. The door will be made of glued t&g australian cypress, one side going vertical, the other horizontal, hopefully this will limit warpage. The boards are already sealed.
We were thinking of putting a regular door handle on it but really do not need to be able to lock it. And we would rather not have to drill into the framing, we'd rather keep it simple. We made some cedar doors years ago for our kitchen closet, and were only concerned with keeping the doors closed. So we put some large, pretty brass pulls on them and then put those awful hydraulic closers that you see on screen doors. They have been a real pain in the neck, as they are hard to keep open and all we really wanted was something to keep the doors somewhat tightly closed.
What can we use? Are there any sort of magnets that are not hard to look at? Our last resort would be to put a conventional doorknob on the door but we'd rather go with something else if we could.

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how can I keep closed a closet door?

Would this work?

Here is a link that might be useful: hinge pin closer

o

o

Magnetic 'latches' have been around for a long time.

If you cannot find a single one strong enough to hold the door closed, just add another.

Some flat head wood screws in the jamb and the newer 'super magnets' also works well.

I have a kitchen end panel held on a steel frame supporting the counter with six 'super magnets.'

It can be removed if needed, but appears to be attached to the DW.

o

The basic cypress door is now glued together, came out great. I have emailed the above links/ideas to my husband for him to look over. Thanks.

Nancy

o

Drill the top frame near the latch side with a 1" forstner bit from the top to about 1/8" from going thru. Use of a positive drill stop is highly recomended. glue in a 1" dia X 1" long NC40 or better neodium magnet. At a matching location in the top of the door, drill a 1/2" X 1 1/4" deep hole. glue in a 1/2" dia X 1" long NC40 neodium magnet flush with the top of the door. MAKE SURE IT IS OPOSITE POLARITY FROM THE FRAME MAGNET.

This makes a "no touch" "no show" latch that will gently pull the door closed from 1 to 2" but will have no effect on the door staying full open. The large magnet is needed because of the distance (1/8" wood + 1/8" door clearance). The Range of a magnet is roughly proportional to it's size.

This same magnet would require a 50-75# pull to open the door if the magnets were touching. I just used this on a double door. The pull required to open the door is less than 5# (guesstimate). If you want stronger double up on the magnets. I wouldn't recomend larger magnets, they can get real nasty to handle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here