Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting baseboard without removing

Posted by rhoda_dendron (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 14:27

I have a baseboard that is behind my hardwood floors. It was installed first and not removed when the hardwood was installed.

I hate this baseboard and want to change the look of it. I need a clean lined contemporary look - just a 4 inch plain baseboard would be fine.

Question: Can the existing 6 inch baseboard be cut down to 4 inches without removing it? Is there a saw that will do this?

You can probably tell I know NOTHING about carpentry!

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting baseboard without removing

No, there is not a saw for that.

Yes, it could be done---however, the raw edge would need shaping/sanding/finishing---and those procedures also do not have tools made for those jobs---so----removing the old and replacing with new is much more inexpensive.

Due to the fact the old baseboard was left in place---the new will not hide the gap left when the old is removed---so quarter round or shoe molding will need to be added to hide the gap.

o

There's always a way to do something but in this situation I wouldn't imagine it would be easy or inexpensive. There isn't a saw per se. You'd have to make some kind of jig and probably use a router. Even then, there would be a fair amount of handwork.

It would probably be easier to remove the old baseboard. Baseboard usually doesn't have that many nails in the bottom 3/4" or so taken up by the flooring. Since you plan on replacing it with smaller moulding you should plan on some drywall patching and painting.

Mike

o

There is a saw made by Crain (812H) for trimming door jambs and even doors while still hung. It adjusts up to more than 1 inch high, but can be blocked up even higher.

o

A jamb saw might work but there would still need to be some kind of rail system for the saw to ride on. Baseboard should be installed level, not parallel to the floor.

In any case there'd be a fair amount of handwork cleaning up the cut and getting into corners.

I still think it would be easier to replace the baseboard.

Mike

o

Thanks everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here