Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Looking for ideas for window seat in alcove

herus
13 years ago

Our basement has a double window (aprx 6' wide) that has a nice view. The wall it is on is part of an alcove that is aprx 12' wide, and the short 'legs' of the alcove are about 22" deep. See my attempt at drawing it: (the dashes are the short walls, colons are painted (beadboardable) walls, equals signs are window area.)

-------

::

==

==

==

-------

I would like to add some style to this area by putting in trim-colored beadboard throughout the alcove and also adding a window seat and some storage.

One idea is to place a single cabinet on the floor on each side of the window. If the cab is about 32" wide it will just about touch the window edge, so 30" will work with maybe a filler piece.

Then maybe install a bench in between the cabs that can be cushioned and under the cushions, have a fold-open seat for storage. I have 34" shelving (12" deep) left over with a nice lip on it that I can use here.

I would appreciate your posting some info on the following if you would please:

1. Source for cabinets online, decent prices and decent quality. Only need two so they should be able to take small orders.

2. Any plans for building the seat. I am better than a novice woodworker though not an expert by any means. I do NOT have a table saw so this is a drawback, but hoping to get it done anyway. Have most other necessary (but not exotic) tools. Drills, miter saw, skilsaw, various small tools but no drill press, bandsaws, etc.

3. Other ideas of what to do with the alcove?

I look forward to some helpful responses. Thanks!