Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting an Old Pine Table

Posted by chedanemi (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 13:33

I have an old pine dining room table which is stained very dark that I'd like to paint white. The top has nicks and marks on it too... it's been well-used! How do I prep it and paint it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting an Old Pine Table

I'll let others with more experience answer the painting question in more detail (generally, I think you will want to lightly sand, prime, and paint--maybe spray paint to reduce the possibility of brush marks).

Are you trying to preserve the nicks to give it a distressed look or to eliminate them?

o

First, I'd try to determine what finish is on there now. That will determine what you should go over top of it with.

The next step is a thorough cleaning. A good cleaning is worth a coat of finish and will help avoid adhesion issues.

When I'm going over top of lacquer, I like to spray pigmented lacquer, as it chemically bonds (burns in) to the lower coats.

If you are not using lacquer, after the cleaning, do a scuff sanding. If you don't know the existing finish, a shellac-based primer (e.g., Zinsser's BIN) is a good transition coat. If I'm going to use "paint," I prefer oil-based paint as I think it flows out better, dries harder, doesn't block and is more durable.

If you have the ability to spray, see here

Here is a link that might be useful: How to determine the exiting finish

o
distressed pine

Oh, Pine. I always tell people if they have pine furniture, they are going to get nicks and dents. Live with it, because you can't avoid it.

o

Sand lightly, fill any holes with wood filler, resand, prime with Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer and paint with and how ever you want.

o

Thank you for the info! I know with pine there will always be nicks and such; I just want to cover up the worst of them and get a nicer, brighter finish on the table.

Again, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here