Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recyling old wood boards

Posted by greenone (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 11, 07 at 13:32

We have to clean up the site of the old 'garage' on our property. We are recyling the old wood boards when possible. However, after we clean them up - we'ld like to know what kind of wood they are. Is there a way to tell without having to take them to a place like Lowe's? They need a good washing and then a light sanding. Looks like there may be enough to make a tv cabinet with doors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recyling old wood boards

I'd be amazed if anyone at any home improvement store had even an inkling as to what variety of wood they were.

There are several woodworking websites that you could post a picture with the explanation and get opinions. www.woodnet.net
www.sawmillcreek.org are two of the larger ones with free registration and experienced members.

There is also www.hobbithouseinc.com This is a private website that is accessable to anyone for free that has pictures of hundreds of different kinds of woods.

o

Hey thanks, handymac.They sound helpful. Will be very happy to spend time on them. This wood has possibily.
Haha, I was just out back checking on things where the 'garage' was and the old mulberry tree just split and part fell over the the site. So now we have more wood. A real mess. I was going to work out there under the tree.

o

Post some pictures on Lumberjocks.com I'm sure you'll get a swift reply.

o

Ok,stoneaxe, it looks good. I have to wash each board to show the grain and whatever. They may not be all the same.Don't know how old the building was. Doesn't appear to have been very big from the amount of debris left behind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here