Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deets_gw

type of wood for a pergola

deets
16 years ago

Hi, I am having a pergola built in my yard. I have spoken to 2 builders about it. One recommended I use Ipe, as it is harder than just about everything else.. and the other told me the supplier said it shouldn't be used in that application as it's extremely heavy and hard to work with.

Who do I believe and does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of wood is best to use? I really don't want vinyl, nor do I want to HAVE to repaint/stain it annually(but will if necessary). It will receive the south sun most of the day. Any advice? Thanks alot

Dorothy.

Comments (7)

• jey_l
    13 years ago

Pergolas were traditionally made of stone so weight really shouldn't be an issue and for the most part is an advantage. You may want to consider white or colored concrete if you really want a maintenance free product.

• aidan_m
    13 years ago

Ipe is an excellent choice for a pergola. It is heavy and dense wood, but very strong at the same time. 1x4 Ipe is stronger than 2x6 Redwood or Cedar. You can keep the weight down by going smaller.

There are many South American ironwoods available, but Garapa, Cumaru, and Massaranduba are less dimensionally stable than Ipe. The long spans of a pergola will be way more subject to movement than a deck fastened to joists on 16"

I think Ipe is your best choice.

Ipe is so dense that it can be tempermental with taking a finish. The untinted paint base is a great clear finish for solid wood exterior doors and millwork. However, do not put it on Ipe. Finishes that dry to a film will fail on Ipe.

Ipe needs a penetrating finish. TWP and Woodrich seem to get the best reviews from professionals and no horror stories from DIY'ers.

There is plenty of advice over on the deck forum.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Ipe is far to heavy. Have you ever picked up a 16' 5/4x6 Ipe deck board?
    We have use Spanish Cedar for pergolas and outdoor details. It weathers to a nice gray faster than Ipe, and weight 1/3 as much. This is an Ipe deck with mahogany railings and spanish cedar pergola that we built in '07,
    {{!gwi}}
    Casey

• someone2010
    13 years ago

I agree with Casey. Spanish Cedar would be my choice if Redwood were not available. I think Mahogany would be the best, but it is generally too expensive.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Ipe is very likely to outlast cedar or redwood.

The weight is not significant, except the folks do not like to lift it during assembly.

It is far stronger than any of the softwoods,as are most hardwoods, but not all.

Balsa is actually a hardwood, Southern yellow pine is a softwood.

• reegs_nerdsonsite_com
    13 years ago

It's easy to choose your timber by price if you are working on a tight budget - the type of wood that is most readily available everywhere is usually pressure treated timber from the Pine family provided from replenished forests. Pine is quite a soft wood so is easy to cut to size, but this does mean that it needs careful looking after with yearly protection from heavy use, the elements and insects. One advantage of pine is that it can be easily stained to any color or tone so you can still get that redwood or cedar look.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert