Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1970's trim, re-finsh or replace?

Posted by rmkleman (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 11:27

Hello, i just purchased my first house built in 1969. The styling has not been updated at all and i want to tackle one room at a time. First the living room and the master bedroom. I was just curious if there is any way i can save the old trim by stripping or sanding it and re staining it? I am going to re do the ceilings with knock down texture as well as re paint the walls and install new carpet. So im not too worried about getting anything else messy as i am going to replace it or re paint it anyway. Please let me know what i can do! Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1970's trim, re-finsh or replace?

We just did that to the base molding in the 1965 house we bought. All the doors/trim/cabinets were custom made and matching.

Carefully removed base molding/door trim---pulling the nails out the back side to avoid splintering the face of the molding. Sanded it to remove the old finish and sand out some of the bigger dents/scratches/etc. Then restained with the original color---we have the advantage of knowing the original owner.

Finished it all with Sherwin Williams oil based varnish and reinstalled.

o

If the moldings are fairly pedestrian, painted, and/or extremely damaged, it's usually cost-effective to just replace it rather than stripping, sanding, staining and refinishing.

If you do decide to pull it off and re-apply, pull the nails out through the back to prevent damage on the front due to fillers and chipping.

o

You didn't say whether you wanted to preserve the 1969 look or if you wanted to update the look of the interior of the home. I don't know about you but me personally I would want to give new to the place with new molding/trim pieces. If you aren't sure purchase or ask for sample pieces that you can take home, put up and then decide what look is the one that best fits your design needs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here