Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help me with my computer desks?

Posted by jayjay_teacher (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 11:17

I teach in the computer lab at our school. Four years ago we got new desks and now they are falling apart. They are pressed wood covered in something like laminate. No new furniture will be purchased for many years so I am trying to come up with a solution to fix these.

The screws are falling out. The only thing that I have thought of is to get right angle braces and run the screws all the way through with a nut on the other side. Someone told me that if I did not have the right drill bit, that the pressed wood would fall apart where I drill. Also, the laminate would crack. I think I have heard that if you drill through duck tape that it would keep the laminate from cracking, but I do not know if this is true or not.

Can someone tell me the best way to do this, or if there is another solution, I would like to know that.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help me with my computer desks?

I'm sure you'll get some help, but it would be best if you posted a few photographs, including close-ups of the failed joints and an overall view of the whole desk so we can get a sense of the stresses exerted on these joints.

o

There may be several ways to fix your problem. Does your school system have a technical school where they teach woodworking? If so, contact them and see if they can take a look at it. Also, you mentioned that it is presswood that the screws are falling out of - this kind of material does fine initially, then after use, the wood falls apart around the screws.

o

Thanks for the quick replies. Our school does not have a woodworking class--we are a small K-12 school. jbranch, that is what is happening, the wood is falling apart around the screws--or as we say in the South, they are "wallering" out.

I can't post pictures for a little while. They are waxing the floors in the school and I am not able to get in.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

o

Pictures will help, but in the meantime, a few things to consider:

- Super-glue (CA glue) will strengthen failing and flaking particle board. Use the thin stuff and drip it in and let it soak into the surrounding area.
- Fill loose holes with epoxy. Epoxy putty would work well for this.
- Most knock-down (KD) or ready to assemble (RTA) furniture uses connectors of some sort. If you are going to drill through and put "nuts" you might consider these

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here