Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Designing Laundry Pedistals

Posted by steve_a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 3, 09 at 10:44

I am going to install compact front-loading Bosch washer and dryer in a closet on my first floor. They will be side-by-side, not stacked. Bosch does not make pedistals for these, but does not prohibit pedistal mounting (they may also be stacked). I will need to build pedistals, I'm thinking 12" high, so that we will not have to bend down so much to load and unload them.

These are 24" wide compacts, vs. standard 27". I'm not worried about supporting the weight so much as managing vibration. I've read several posts on other forums, but some say vibration is less with front-loaders than with top-loaders. Also, these compacts don't spin as fast as the full-size machines. The washer (depending on model we choose) will be 1000 or 1200 RPM. Also, Bosch makes clips to mount the feet to the pedistal, I will use those.

I'm wanting to build heavy wood pedistals. I have reasonable woodworking skills and tools (table saw, compound miter saw, etc.) but not a lot of joinery experience or equipment. I was first thinking of 4x4 frames, but wonder if I should use 2x4, double up, and make the ends staggered some way to create lap (or rabit?) joints? Need to figure out how to bolt together, etc. Then I'd cover top and sides with plywood, securely screwed on to provide more ridigity. Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions or sources for plans for these. I hope this is clear, and thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Designing Laundry Pedistals

If it was up to me, I'd make a box from 3/4" plywood with a cross member in the middle. That is, a minimal torsion box. If you really want heavy and vibration proof, get a bag or two of play sand and put it inside. Sand is a very good vibration absorber.

o

Thanks, Bob. So what would you frame the box with?

o

3/4" plywood all around. You can do whatever joint you want on the corners, butt, miter, rabbet, tongue & dado, etc.

Again, if I was doing it, I'd probably miter the corners and stick in some biscuits. If you don't have biscuit cutter, then maybe either a spline or simply an internal glue block.

If I was more interested in getting it done than appearance, I would simply butt the sides together. You can also get iron-on veneer edging to cover the plywood edges.

o

OK, thanks.

o

I'd build it like a fish tank stand. I'd use pressure treated 2x4s to make a frame, then 1/2" ply for the sides. I'd leave the top and bottom open.

But, I tend to over build.

o

Thanks again to all who posted, but we may close this thread now. We've decided to go without the pedestals because we want a usable shelf or counter over the machines, and pedestals would make that too high. Plumber and electricians are working as I type, and machines will be delivered next Tuesday. I will post a thread about the completion of our closet laundry in the Laundry Room forum at some point after all that happens, if anyone's interested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here