Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_a_gw

Help Designing Laundry Pedistals

steve_a
14 years ago

I am going to install compact front-loading Bosch washer and dryer in a closet on my first floor. They will be side-by-side, not stacked. Bosch does not make pedistals for these, but does not prohibit pedistal mounting (they may also be stacked). I will need to build pedistals, I'm thinking 12" high, so that we will not have to bend down so much to load and unload them.

These are 24" wide compacts, vs. standard 27". I'm not worried about supporting the weight so much as managing vibration. I've read several posts on other forums, but some say vibration is less with front-loaders than with top-loaders. Also, these compacts don't spin as fast as the full-size machines. The washer (depending on model we choose) will be 1000 or 1200 RPM. Also, Bosch makes clips to mount the feet to the pedistal, I will use those.

I'm wanting to build heavy wood pedistals. I have reasonable woodworking skills and tools (table saw, compound miter saw, etc.) but not a lot of joinery experience or equipment. I was first thinking of 4x4 frames, but wonder if I should use 2x4, double up, and make the ends staggered some way to create lap (or rabit?) joints? Need to figure out how to bolt together, etc. Then I'd cover top and sides with plywood, securely screwed on to provide more ridigity. Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions or sources for plans for these. I hope this is clear, and thanks for any help.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor