Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamagirlsj

Painting tables from Pottery Barn

bamagirlsj
13 years ago

Hi there. I could use some help from you experts out there! I recently purchased 4 Pottery Barn map tables (console, coffee, and 2 end tables) from C.L. They were a steal at $140, and I love the style, so I couldn't pass them up! They are black, and the tops of the tables are scratched and the paint is chipping off in places. I want to repaint them black, but have discovered that I'm dealing with wood veneer rather than solid wood. The veneer is not damaged, just the paint (or lacquer?). Is this something that I can do at home? I've thought of hiring a furniture refinisher, but am willing to work on it myself, too. Any advice would be appreciated. I would post a photo, but I'm not sure how yet. Thanks!

Comments (3)

• bobismyuncle
    13 years ago

There is no good answer to the question, "Is this something I can do at home," without knowing what your capabilities and facilities are.

The obvious choice would be to remove the damaged finish, sand down to remove irregularities and spray on some more black lacquer. This assumes you have a spray booth and spray equipment. But if you did, it's likely you would not be asking this question. If you are skillful enough, on small tables, you could get black aerosol lacquers in cans and apply a couple of coats of this.

A second best solution would be to clean, sand, prime, and apply a good oil-based paint. You are likely to get brush marks this way, though.

A non-starter is latex paint.

The issue of veneer vs. solid wood vs. engineering wood is largely a non-issue as long as it's not damaged.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

If the finish is opaque the wood under it is of secondary importance.

If it is veneer it is likely a low grade designed just to give the paint a smooth look.

You can try light sanding to minimize the chips, than apply a new coat of finish.

Test carefully first, getting a new coat to stick to some of the factory finishes is very difficult.

The worst that might happen is needing to put a new veneer layer on before refinishing.

It is not as hard as it might appear.

Constantine's has veneer and the plainer types are not painfully expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Constantine's

• NYshark
    12 years ago

I think I can help you with a low cost effective solution to your dilemma . Buy a cheap can of spray paint make sure it is flat , and the color is the same spectrum that you plan on painting the finished table. Take the table to a well ventilated area and spray a light coat of the flat paint on the table allow it to dry 24 hours then you have an excellent base that any paint or shellac will adhere to. I hope this is helpful and enjoy your wonderful find. If you are not happy with the finished product I do happen to have 2 solid cherry wood end tables I am moving to a smaller apartment and there is really not the right amount of space for me to keep the tables without having it become cluttered. So make me an offer after you research the value of Solid cherry wood end tables 22x22x18 2 tier solid wood in mint condition bran new showroom condition.. The 2 tables are solid cherry wood metropolitan cube design .