Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refinishing a picnic table?

Posted by sweets98 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 07 at 10:09

I may not be in the right forum. I didn't know where to post and I did countless searches at both THS and GW with no luck!

My in-laws bought a picnic table from Lowe's about 3 years ago. They stained and sealed it...not sure what they used but I know MIL is a big fanatic about chemicals and such so I remember her researching what to use. The problem is whatever they used, did not stay put. It's all peeling up and looks bad. DH thinks maybe they did it the first summer and the wood didn't have time to "cure". I don't know.

We just inherited the picnic table last night! We have wanted a picnic table for a little area up in the woods that we have been working on for the last two years. I know it's going to need a good sanding and all that but what should I do to seal it this time? Would it be best to stain or paint? I don't want to be fixing this every single year and I don't want to put something on it that is really harmful to our family. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refinishing a picnic table?

The type of finish may be determined by the type of wood used to make the table.

If it's stained, the stain has to be redone every three years or so. No major prep for staining. Do use a quality stain such as Cabot's.

If you paint it, apply a good quality primer to the wood first. After that, two good coats of a quality exterior paint.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

o

Chemicals, chemicals? The absence of all chemicals is a complete vacuum. There are virtually no finishes that are non-toxic in the liquid state and there are virtually no finishes that are toxic in the cured state, despite what you may read or see emblazoned "all natural" across the label. Remember that poison ivy, snake venom, heroin and cocaine are "all natural". (sorry, but this is a pet peeve)

If it's peeling up you are going to have to do something for a good foundation.

Like eal51 suggests, a paint or paint-like stain is your best choice. Clear finishes, for the most part, just don't hold up without regular maintenance. One exception might be "OneTime."

o

Cocaine is not "all natural"! It is derived from the natural plant, but a chemical process is needed to form the actual drug. (sorry, but this is a pet peeve)

o

"Cocaine is not "all natural"! It is derived from the natural plant, but a chemical process is needed to form the actual drug. (sorry, but this is a pet peeve)"

The process extracts and purifies the cocaine, it does not create it.

It is already present in the Coca plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here