Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aging wood

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 10:04

Hi again!

I've been taking apart my fence and using it for the ceiling under my back porch. It looks fabulous, and best of all it's that 4-letter F word: Free.

I am short a bit, however. I am not shy about buying another fence panel, but am of course looking around for any other weathered wood I can find.

I have been reading about weathering wood. It seems Cedar grays with a solution of baking soda and water.

I've read about steel wool in vinegar.

I am using pine.
Would the 1st method have the same result on this different wood?

The 2nd I've read grays things, but all the few pics I've seen simply darken oak beautifully. How does it respond on pine?

Any suggestions for speeding the natural graying of pine fencing?

Thank you! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aging wood

I would check Craigslist first, there ought to be some weathered fence material out there already aged and done. The problem with pine is that it is not the same material so it will show up as different than the 'treated' fencing material. Good luck with your project, would love to see a photo!

o

I've been stalking Freecycle and CL, but so far no go in my area.
What do you mean with your second sentence?

>>The problem with pine is that it is not the same material so it will show up as different than the 'treated' fencing material.<<

Same material as what?

Thanks,
Christine

o

You are NOT going to believe what I got today on CL!!!

A MAJOR fence company is getting rid of 6x6s because they're weathered. 6, 8, 10 and 12' long.

$$ Eight dollars each $$

I have some $$ save which were to go to other bills, but I'm snagging several truck loads of them. My dream retaining walls, the pillars for my back porch and any old thing I please just became possible!

Just thought I'd share.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here