Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom vanity finish disaster....please advise!

Posted by stacylh (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 9:59

Long story short, we contracted our trim guy to build our bathroom vanities after a struggle with our original cabinetmaker to get our kitchen done (love the cabinets, but were delivered 6 weeks late).

Apparently, though, our trim guy was not as experienced in staining/finishing wood as he let on and we have a mess on our hands. He was trying to simulate the color of our kitchen island (dark walnut on maple), but 4 weeks past the due date, is delivering us unfinished vanities because the poly kept orange peeling on him. He basically threw his hands up in the air after two attempts/rebuilds!

Since it will be up to us now to get these things finished, I'm curious as to how this happened to begin with because I've stained and finished wood before without this ever happening.

I'm not sure the products he used and probably won't be able to get that info since we are hardly on speaking terms.

What would be the proper way to stain and seal the wood? What products do you recommend?

TIA!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom vanity finish disaster....please advise!

Orange peel is typically the result of improper painting technique, and is caused by the quick evaporation of thinner, incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint.

Staining maple is problematic. Maple blotches easily, meaning getting even color is difficult.

As much as I dislike gel stains(they are basically just modified paint), a gel stain for your situation may be the best short term solution.

Try to find a cabinet shop or even a paint shop--some auto shops have people who can do wood.

o

Thanks!

The guy says that the stain went on smoothly and looked good but the poly is the problem. The first time, he brushed it on and sprayed it on the second time, both with dismal results.

o

Thanks!

The guy says that the stain went on smoothly and looked good but the poly is the problem. The first time, he brushed it on and sprayed it on the second time, both with dismal results.

o

Once stain is dried, there is still residue that needs to be removed and a light hand sanding done before the finish is applied.

That can cause the problem.

Outdated poly can be the problem.

o

I remember that when I stained our front door many years ago that I sanded between the coats and got a very pleasing result and never had trouble with the poly.

Thanks for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here