Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tuteur Help

Posted by lamalu (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 8:59

Hi all. I built my first tuteur over the weekend and while I'm pretty happy with it I did have a problem tapering the boards at the top so they meet cleanly. Does anyone have tips on how to do this? I used 1x3's, 81" long. I knew how far apart the legs would be splayed and I used a 4" by 4" block as a spacer at the top so I couls have a little platform for a finial or whatever. Somwhow I ended up with a bigger gap than I wanted. I cut away too much material. I hope this makes sense and someone can help me.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tuteur Help

You haven't provided enough information. Is this a layout/geometry problem (you don't have a clear grasp of the shape you're trying to cut the wood to) or is it a question about how to cut a shape that you've already clarified?

o

Of course, you could use a bit of trigonometry to figure out your angles, but then how are you going to set 5.34 degrees?

I imagine the old timers would either use a framing square for simple proportions or just lay it up there and mark it off from the wood itself.

Though I'm capable of the trig and can set angles like this using the same, I'd do the latter.

Unless you've mis-spelled what you really built, then I have no idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: A tuteur

o

That's it! Mine looks a little different because I used recycled wood. I tried to mark the pieces off like you suggest and ended up cutting away too much material. Now I'm thinking that if I had divided the amount to cut by 2 and then cut each piece it would have been right. What I had marked only would have worked if I was cutting one side and leaving the other. Does that make sense?
I have looked at several plans for building these and when it comes to tapering the top the directions always say, 'taper the top', they never tell you how! I am going to use scrap wood to play around with this until I get it. I really would like to make one for the bf's yard.
Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here