Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
staining white oak to look like red

Posted by jgustafson (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 07 at 8:06

Hi All,

We have old darkly stained red oak trim in our house (home built in 1903 - original trim) and have had picture rail made to replace the picture rail that used to be in the dining room. The problem: the new trim is white oak. I have tried many different combibations of stain and can't seem to come up with anything that comes close to matching. Any suggestions - please help

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: staining white oak to look like red

Really not enough information to go on here. Color, whether the wood was quartersawn or not, what's happened in the last 104 years can all effect.

Given the age, wood, and the fact that it's a picture rail, I'm assuming it's a Mission / Craftsman finish. See the link for some ideas and possible colors.

General Finishes' Java gel stain is also a good choice for a one-can mission finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Finish

o

Try aniline dye.
You can buy the base colors and mix it to get just about whatever you want.
Mosers is one vendor.
Woodcraft Supply is one source.

o

hate to say it man- but there is no magic bullet here. Im a professional furniture maker and all i can say is you have to experiment. minwax makes a stain designed to make white oak look like red oak- but this will not work in your case because the the red oak you already have has been stained. are you certain that it is red oak? in older homes white oak is much more prevalant than red oak.

just remember- as you experiment - write down your methods so that you can repeat what you do when you find the right color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here