Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best finish for mahogany entry door

Posted by nypatti99 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 7:52

We purchased an unfinished mahogany entry door for our front door. What is the best way to finish this door.
The door will not see direct sun - it is under the porch overhang on the north side of the house.

I've asked around and get lots of "don't use _____" from people, mostly citing that the finishes have a tendency to crack/peel and when they do the only remedy is to sand to bare wood and refinish. The door has much trim and several windows so the thought of sanding to refinish, even several years down the road is scary.

My sister uses Australian Timber Oil on a mahogany railing and seems pleased with the results and not overburdened by re-applying the oil periodically.

Does an oil finish like Aus. Timber Oil seal the wood sufficiently to prevent swelling and sticking of the door in humidity? Are there any other drawbacks?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best finish for mahogany entry door

Paint it with an untinted #4 or #5 deep tint base paint.

Those dry clear and are paint. There are no better exterior finishes than paint.

o

Can I still stain the door under a paint base? I wanted to deepen the color a bit. If I can, any reccommendation for stain type/brand?

Thank you again!

o

Yes, you can stain first. However, wood and stains or dyes will fade when subjected to sunlight and UV rays---the reason for using paint tint base.

Be sure to test the tint base on something else to be sure the brand you select does dry clear.

o

Ace Hardware Royal Shield gloss oil house and Trim deeptone base does NOT dry clear. You can have the paint store open a can and paint (not dip) some to a wooden stir (or better yet a sample stained) to test. It will take a day to dry. Be sure you like the results before you try it on the door. It will be hard to redo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here