Return to the Woodworking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help -- filler piece again wood plank wall

Posted by mudworm (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 11 at 1:59

I never thought this through until it's time to install the cabinets in a room that has (knotty pine) wood plank walls and ceiling. We'll have a filler piece between the wall and our tall cabinet. With a regular wall, I know how to trace the contour of the (uneven) wall and make filler piece to match it closely. But with these horizontal wood planks that have grooves, what's the best way to fit the filler piece? Both my hubby and I are total newbie to woodwork, but we did purchase table saw, miter saw, etc. and are willing to learn. So, what we are looking for is a solution that does not involve a lot of hand carving because we are short on time, but still provides an acceptable look and seal. Any suggestions?

Here is how our cabinet run will look like:

And this is how our wood planks look (although the ones we are working with are in a different room):

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help -- filler piece again wood plank wall

I would say using the compass scribe method, place a piece of wood over the cabinet and transfer the line, then cut out. Not sure you can account for the grooves, maybe use a contour gauge, but then your cuts have to be spot to fit perfectly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodworking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here