Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clh42_gw

nightstands too low

clh42
12 years ago

I just purchased a new mattress + boxsprings. The height of the mattress is 38.5" tall and the height of my nightstands are 26.5" tall. Is there any way to heighten my nightstands by about 10" by building risers for the nightstand to sit upon? I would want to stain the risers so that it would not be as obvious. Any wood workers out there give me any feedback or suggestions. I easily follow directions, but am by no means even an intermediate at woodworking. Thanks all in advance for your help.

Comments (19)

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

It depends upon the construction of the nightstands, but I'd say most any design I can think of it would look like a nightstand on 10" stilts. Any way you could post a photo?

• clh42
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'll post a few from front and side views soon.
    Thanks

• clharrison_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Pictures below

• sloyder
    12 years ago

Looking at the nightstand, it would look really bad if you added an addl 10" to the bottom. Did the bedframe have a boxspring before (you could get a narrower boxspring), Another option may be to get a bedframe, and attach the headboard and foot board to it, and do away with the side rails.

• avadoone
    12 years ago

well that's a tough one... because it's such a traditional design it will be very obvious that it's been altered.

I think you could put legs on the bottom and maybe a shelf in the middle to make it look less "leggy"

My personal opinion would to add a shelf on the top. Maybe something a bit smaller than the top of the table. Or just on the back half? Then you could store books or display items under it. If that doesn't make sense I would be happy to "photoshop" it for you.

Good luck :)

• clh42
    Original Author
    12 years ago

avadoone I just can't see the clock or reach the phone without feeling like I'm falling out. A photoshop would be helpful for sure. Thanks;)

• avadoone
    12 years ago

I hope this can inspire you. If you copy existing elements, it will be more cohesive. I am showing it over the back half but you could have it cover the same area as the top.

Here is a link that might be useful: bedside mock-up

• clh42
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the mock-up Avadoone. I might could get my friend's father to work that up for me. I don't have the correct tools or skills. He has a whole shop set up since he retired. Just don't know if he has the time, but I can definitely ask.
    Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

• aidan_m
    12 years ago

Why not lower the bed to a more reasonable height? 38.5" is a good height for a kitchen counter for tall people. Do you use a ladder or pole vault to get into bed?

There are different ways to lower the mattress height:

You could cut the posts 12" off the bottom. The base appears to be a moulding. If so, it could be easily reattached to the shortened posts.

Lower the box spring supports as low as possible along the side rails. Pieces of angle metal are the most effective way to do this.

Instead of cutting the posts, go to Woodcraft and get some more bed frame knock-down hardware. Install another set of post connectors at a lower position on the bed posts. The original hardware would be visible, but this option allows the bed frame to remain adjustable. This is the best option, IMO, because you may not have that mattress forever.

I prefer mattress height in the 18-24" range. I think the edge of the bed should be a comfortable sitting height. The nightstand should be a little higher than the mattress.

• bobismyuncle
    12 years ago

It may even work to put the box springs on the floor or on a small box platform.

• clh42
    Original Author
    12 years ago

aiden m- the first night I wondered how I was going to get in the bed. It was too high to crawl up, so I got the little footrest I used at work and navigated it that way. The next day I called around and found a 15" 2-step bed stool and that is how I now get in an out. I've seriously entertained the thought of going to the baby store to get side rails so I don't fall out ;0). So far, once I'm in I don't do much movement and when that becomes a problem I'll have to deal with it. As my 80 year old mother says,"The Golden Years, My A**." I sorta tend to agree with her although she gets along better and has a better memory than I do.
    Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

• sloyder
    12 years ago

can you return the boxspring for something not as tall

• sofaspud
    12 years ago

If you need the drawer space, one option would be to build a nice base box with more storage to put the nightstands on. Then, you could remove the legs from the nightstands and sit them on top of the base. (You would need to screw them together somehow.)

If you don't need the storage, I would be very tempted to just build out a square shelf with supports and hang it on the wall.

• clh42
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I am still unsure what I will do, so if anyone else has a suggestion, I welcome them.
    Thanks

• clh42
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone else have any suggestions or ideas for me?
    Thanks

• yakker2
    12 years ago

I'm a bit late into this.
    You could attach a piece of finished plywood to the back, then add a floating shelf to the plywood. With that you would keep your original furniture look and gain a shelf above its top for the phone and clock.

• karinl
    12 years ago

I missed this the first time around but I would go in that direction too, something on top. Maybe build a little hutch to go on top of the nightstand, or make a box that you put on its side.

But it sure sounds like the fundamental problem is you've got too much bed. Personally I would get rid of the box spring and replace it with a sheet of plywood, depending on the structure of the bed.

I love a high bed, but that's a bit excessive :-)

KarinL

• musicteacher
    12 years ago

Go on craigslist, and for $50 buy some that are taller!

• dorisvirginia
    11 years ago

I am going to tackle the same "project" this summer for my son. He bought a new mattress and I need to "heighten" his nightstands. His are hand-me-down Tell City hard rock maple - very good but too short !!!

I found the page below to be helpful ....

Here is a link that might be useful: REINVENTED NIGHTSTANDS