Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bantamchick32

Staining and Finishing Knotty Alder front door

bantamchick32
17 years ago

Can anyone help me with the "how to's" of staining this type of door? It is an unfinished door. I will be staining the whole door. I was thinking about using the Sherwin Williams "Woodscapes" that I think is an all in one type stain. I mean that it has some poly in it. I wanted to use a darker, semi-transparent stain.

Can I use the Woodscapes as interior paint on the inside of the door as well?

Do I need to do any sanding or any use any of the steel wool stuff?

Do I apply w/soft rag?

Do I need to remove the hinges? (it has no door knob yet).

Any directions or tips would be appeciated!

Thanks, Donna

Comments (8)

• marcspag
    17 years ago

Hi Donna. Handymac has already given you some great advice. I would like to add a few things. The recommendation for spar varnish is spot on. But do yourself a favor and skip the stuff at Home Depot. They usually do not carry good quality marine varnishes. One brand that I have used numerous times and is very well respected in the industry is Epifanes. You can find this at marine suppy stores and many online dealers. I usually get mine from Jamestown Distributors. I would also recommend thinning the varnish (any varnish for that matter)for the first few coats. Applying full-strength varnish with a brush can be quite a challenge sometimes. If you dilute with mineral spirits or naptha, the finish will flow much better and will give you more working time to get the finish just right. Of course this means you will need to put on a few more coats to get the final film thickness you are looking for. But I would rather put on 5 coats and have a perfect finish than put on 3 coats and have a flawed finish. I usually dilute the finish 50/50 with mineral spirits for the first coat. The remaining coats go on at 75/25.

As far as the stain goes, I would simply use an "off the shelf" oil-based stain. I highly recommend staying away form the all in one finishes.

Good luck with the door.

Marc

• bantamchick32
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow handymac and marcspag you gave some great and detailed advice! I much appreciate it. I am going to print this off! This is what I was hoping for.

Marcspag, what did you mean by "spot on" referring the spar varnish?

I am going to look for a marine supply store.

Thanks a lot for all the instructions!

Donna

• marcspag
    17 years ago

Oh, its just an expression. Dead on = spot on = right on.....etc.. I am glad you found the info helpful. Good luck.

Marc

• crowsridge
    17 years ago

Morning,

Alder is notorious for blotching. If you want to stain, you would do well to start with a wood conditioner or sanding sealer. This will give you an even finish overall. then finish as listed above.

Chris

• Mark__M
    17 years ago

Here is a link that shows Alder stained. Chris is correct, Alder is notorius for blotching. I have found that Old Masters Wipe on Stain prevents blotching in Alder, but I do not know if it is UV rated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alder Stained

• bantamchick32
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the responses and help.

Where can I find Old Masters Wipe? Maybe I could use this on the inside of the door.

Thanks

• Mark__M
    17 years ago

Delayed response here. I buy it from a local hardwood store. You might want to go to the website http://www.oldmastrs.com/ and try the dealer locator.